The effects of #MuslimWomensDay were felt far and wide. Pioneered to offer a day dedicated to elevating the stories of Muslim women, Muslim Women’s Day returned for a third time around this year, bigger and better than ever before. Once again, we called on our partners and allies to center their conversations around the strong Muslim women that they admired, and to help our cause by passing the mic so we could challenge the stereotypes and generalizations that continue to plague us.
We certainly weren’t disappointed, as our newsfeeds and timelines exploded in a celebration of strong, accomplished Muslim women as well as the pressing narratives surrounding them. Social media did not hold back in voicing their thoughts, and so, here’s what our favorite celebrities and change-makers had to say about the third annual #MuslimWomensDay:
1. Rep. Ilhan Omar Was Almost as Excited to See Us as We Were to See Her!
2. Ibtihaj Muhammad Killing It on #MuslimWomensDay, and Every Other Day TBH.
3. Musical Goddess Neelam Does It for the Culture.
4. How About Some #MuslimWomensDay Love Courtesty of Shonda Rhimes?
5. Linda Sarsour Sharing Some Wisdom This #MuslimWomensDay.
6. Founder of Jack Jones Literary Arts, Kima Jones, Getting in on the Sisterhood.
7. President of Planned Parenthood, Leana Wen, Shows Us What Allyship is All About.
8. Politician Mohamed Salih Comes Through for the Muslim Women in His Life.
9. Political Strategist, Rasha Mubarak, Wasn’t Afraid to Call the Haters out This #MuslimWomensDay.
10. Sports Activist and Writer, Shireen Ahmed Tells Is Like It Is.