We recognize that we are in the midst of a humanitarian crisis and call upon all people of conscience to raise awareness for Palestinian children all over the world.
The people of Gaza have been subject to unimaginable war crimes for decades and are, in this very moment, facing imminent genocide. No group of people should have to live through such violence and, in particular, certainly not the one million children that make up half of the Gazan population. We demand immediate action and refuse to be complicit in the collective punishment that is being enacted upon the Palestinian civilian population.
- Out of the 2800+ Palestinian deaths as a result of the violence, over 1000+ casualties are children.
- Netanyahu has cut off Gaza’s lifelines of electricity, water, and food, which is a war crime.
- Hospitals and medical workers are being targeted, which is a war crime.
- Israel has dropped more bombs on Gaza in six days than America dropped on Afghanistan in one year.
Further, the dehumanization of the Palestinian people and our government’s tolerance of indiscriminate military action and war crimes against them has led to ramifications on our own soil.
A six-year-old Palestinian-American Muslim boy by the name of Wadea Al-Fayoume was killed in an Islamophobic hate crime in Illinois. His landlord spewed anti-Arab rhetoric before stabbing the young boy 26 times. This horrifying murder is a direct result of the dehumanization of Palestinian children being perpetuated by elected officials and the media. 1 We stand firmly against any narratives that foster religious divisions and unequivocally denounce any form of Islamophobic or anti-Semitic bigotry stemming from this crisis.
We are disturbed by the senseless loss of life resulting from the tragic events that have unfolded over the last several days, and the silence and erasure around the years of history that led us here. The unjust policies of failed leaderships across the globe have contributed to the calamity and escalation of the crisis today, so much so that its reverberations are felt transcontinentally.
While half of Palestine is children, the other half are elders, fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters who deserve freedom and security. Now, more than ever, we must stand for the humanity of the Palestinian children and people. We call upon the public to raise awareness to #SavePalestinianChildren.
This is a global humanitarian crisis that demands immediate action from the international community.
- Allam, H., & Kaur, A. (2023, October 16). Palestinian American boy stabbed to death in hate crime, sheriff says. Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/10/16/muslim-boy-stabbed-chicago-landlord/ ↩︎