To my Muslim girls down the street and to the ones across oceans and oceans, this one’s for you. Hear it. Learn it. Share it.
1 . #ToTheMuslimGirls: Never apologize for your identity. Never. You matter and you’re all freaking queens.
2. #ToTheMuslimGirls: Whether you’re sporting a hijab or a crop top – own it, girl.
3. #ToTheMuslimGirls: Sometimes it’s cultural and sometimes it’s societal, but someone is always trying to confine us to a box with the “ideal” Muslim girl image labeled on the outside. BREAK THE DAMN BOX.
4. #ToTheMuslimGirls: Mistakes are ok. You are going to be ok. Life happens. So tell Mr. Fatwa and Miss Gossip @ The Masjid to sthu.
5. #ToTheMuslimGirls: The magic of sisterhood will only come into play if you do your part, too. We all need to unite, ya feel me?
6. #ToTheMuslimGirls: Ramadan is coming up, and you don’t have to hide in your closet like a runaway convict to eat that double chocolate chip cookie. You got your period, you did not commit murder. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
7. #ToTheMuslimGirls: If someone (a Wallah Bro) is way too concerned about the level of haram your makeup is — wing that eyeliner, and fly away from them.
8. #ToTheMuslimGirls: Whether it’s our own community picking us a part and playing Good Muslim/Bad Muslim, or the post 9/11 Islamophobic society we live in – it can be pretty damn impossible to be a Muslim girl in the West. But, breathe. You got this. You are not here for them.
9. #ToTheMuslimGirls: If someone compares your existence to a wrapped vs. unwrapped lollipop, an orange, a flower, etc. – give them your best side eye, tell them how problematic their objectification of women is, and then ask those Wallah Bros how it feels to be compared to flies??
10. #ToTheMuslimGirls: I fail at replicating the hijab styles from hijab tutorials on Youtube most of the time, too.
11.#ToTheMuslimGirls: You are more than the misrepresentation of Muslim women portrayed by mainstream media and racist bigots. Raise your voice. You’re extraordinary.
12. #ToTheMuslimGirls: Hair flip or hijab flip. DO YOU, BOO! <3
13. #ToTheMuslimGirls: When you’re at the masjid/family gathering/anywhere really, and you get bombarded with questions about why marriage just isn’t your top priority right now, be like:
14. #ToTheMuslimGirls: Let go of those haters and people that live just to bring you down. Surround yourself with endless positivity and let that noor shine through, girl!
15. #ToTheMuslimGirls: No matter where you are in the world, you’ve got a sister in me and countless other Muslim women. And I think that’s pretty special.
Join the conversation and tweet/comment with your own advice #ToTheMuslimGirls!
Feature photo by Kashfi Halford