For many of us, 2016 was a difficult year — with the elections, and all the bigotry and racism that filled our country. As we reflect on the ups and downs of the past year, here are the top Muslim Girl moments in the year 2016:
1. Muslim Girl: A Coming of Age, by Editor in Chief Amani Al-Khatahtbeh, was published on Oct. 18. If you haven’t purchased your copy yet, what are you waiting for?
2. The Muslim Girl Care Package came out on Black Friday. It’s a wonderful subscription box filled with goodies for the modern Muslim Girl. Check out this unboxing video by one of our writers.
3. Muslim Girl attended the United State of Women Summit hosted by the White House. I had the privilege of attending this, and it was one of my highlights of the year!
With my fellow writers Tahira & Fatma being interviewed for an online segment at the summit.
5. Muslim Girl was featured in a series of videos for Teen Vogue’s #AskAMuslimGirl series. Several Muslim Girl writers talked about hijab and what it meant for them.
So, yes, 2016 had a lot of downs — but there were also some positive highlights. We pray that 2017 is a blessed year for all of us.
6- Muslim Girl was listed as one of Forbes 30 under 30 companies.
7- Muslim Girl’s first studio was opened in Williamsburg in Brooklyn! Many memorable videos were made in the studio and some of our own writers, like Eman Bare and Leah V. were able to visit.
8. Muslim Girl also partnered with MTV on different video series to reclaim our narratives.
9. Muslim Girl was recognized by the New York City Council a couple of months ago in a state proclamation, honoring MG’s work.
What an exciting year it was for MG! We can’t wait to see what else 2017 has in store for us.