On Tuesday October 6, President Trump announced that he was ending talks about a second stimulus package in the interest of pushing through his Supreme Court nominee to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
We Need a Stimulus Package – and Here Is Why
The decision POTUS made in conjunction with Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, entirely ignores the dire straights of the US economy and millions of Americans who have medical bills, rent due, and grocery that needs to be bought. These people simply cannot afford to cover the cost of all their expenses right now because of business closures and unemployment. Here are just a few FACTS:
- Since COVID19 related SIP rules began, US unemployment went from 6 million in February to 20 million in May. This translates into loss of employment related health care, pay checks, and essential money to pay bills. Considering that 80% of Americans report living paycheck to paycheck, this is an unheard of disaster for millions of people.
- Since COVID 19 related SIP rules, 180,000 businesses have been forced to close, including roughly 100,000 business which have closed permanently.
- COVID19 tests and treatment are expensive for people, and with the number of those unemployed, fewer are getting tested, and fewer are getting treated due to limitations of cost. You can read more about this here : https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3097
Trump and McConnell Don’t Care
- First, let us not forget that both Trump and McConnell have government health care.
- In spite of Trump’s COVID19 diagnosis, all his bills are paid for by free government health care.
Packing the Supreme Court
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a hero to many. Her dying wish was for her seat on the Supreme Court to be filled after the election. Trump and McConnell disregarded this wish.
- Amy Coney Barrett has served as a judge on the court of appeals for 3 years. That is the extent of her experience as a judge. It is an egregious offense to confirm a judge to the highest court in the nation when the person has that little experience.
These facts serve to illuminate the uncaring, selfish and ruthless power hungry tactics and conduct of the current administration. Let’s hope, God willing, their immoral and unethical behavior will serve to influence the results of the upcoming election. How much suffering will ensue as a result of their decisions remains to be seen.
Senator Mitch McConnell must be voted out of office and replaced by Amy McGrath; Biden/Harris must win; there needs to be change in the Senate majority; and, there must be a way to to fend off the Supreme Court Justice nomination. These changes would create a snowball of positive outcomes if the heinously offensive calls made on the Hill. Americans are neglected and suffering. Do your part. Perform your civic duty. VOTE!
Sarah is a social worker in the San Francisco Bay Area with at-risk and homeless youth. She likes to paint, drum, sing, and spend quality time with her family and God in her free time. She is currently working on a book on Sufism, mindfulness and recovery from co-occurring disorders and on an album with her band EYETestify.