So, we’ve been low-key letting you in on #MuslimGirlProbs we’ve been feeling here and there, and you were really into it. Some of y’all were even like PREEEEACH SISTA! :raised_hands: You already know our biggest #MuslimGirlProbs of them all is, you know, this little ongoing battle we like to call FIGHTING FOR OUR VOICE? TRYING TO GET RECOGNIZED? NOT BEING TALKED ABOUT/OVER/AROUND? HELLO, IS THIS THING ON?
We decided to put #MuslimGirlProbs on blast, front and center — with a weekly roundup of headlines, stories, events, or situations that could not possibly deserve a better response from Muslim women than “SMH.” Consider this our own mini media watch. We got our eyes on you. :eyes:
How does it feel to be a problem?
Week of 1/25/15:
- Another non-Muslim white woman problematically talking about Michelle Obama “not owing anyone a headscarf” — like we didn’t know that already. [New Yorker]
- Molly White (R-TX) demanding that her Muslim constituents affirm their American-ness by swearing allegiance to an Israeli flag… What? [Mediaite]
- Four unveiled women wear hijab for a day because apparently hijab-wearing Muslim women’s lived experience is a one-day experiment for some. [Buzzfeed]
- More unveiled non-Muslim people appropriating the hijab to seek enlightenment about racism. [CBC News]
- A Muslim “cleric” issues a fatwa that Muslim women can’t take selfies so basically we’re all going to hell. [International Business]
- Male cops forced a Muslim woman to remove her hijab while she was being processed for a routine arrest. [IJ Review]
See you next week, unfortunately.