Now Reading
Confused About Trump’s “Peace” Plan? Here’s Everything You Need to Know

Confused About Trump’s “Peace” Plan? Here’s Everything You Need to Know

On January 28th, 2020, President Trump presented a Middle East “peace plan”. I’ll pause for eye rolls. In essence, the “peace” plan proposed an independent Palestinian state (don’t get too excited just yet) and the recognition of Israeli sovereignty over West Bank settlements. This (hoax of a) peace plan is the work of President Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner. His (bogus) peace deal is detailed as follows:

  • The United States will recognise Israeli sovereignty over territory that is deemed reasonable by Mr. Trump’s standards (assuming he even has standards). 
  • According to the Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO), the territorial realignment would give Palestinians 15% of what is referred to as “historic Palestine.” The other 85% of historically Palestinian land, it seems, now belongs to the Israelis.
  • As ruthlessly decided upon in 2019, Jerusalem will remain Israel’s capital.
  • Supposedly, no Palestinians or Israelis will be forced from their homes (so what does this mean for the West Bank, huh?)
  • All holy and historic sites in Jerusalem will be preserved under the management and guidance of the King of Jordan. 
  • Palestine, as a state, will be “demilitarized,” whilst Israel will retain its military (because that’s peaceful right?) 
  • Palestinians have four years to review the plan, negotiate, and begin to achieve criteria for statehood.

President Mahmoud Abbas has rejected the peace plan, even referencing the proposal as a “conspiracy.” In accordance with their president’s remarks, Palestinians took to the streets as a part of a “day of rage” to protest this one-sided plan. I couldn’t have expressed it better myself. 

In an emergency meeting of the Arab League this past Saturday, President Abbas announced his rejection of the plan along with his commitment to severing all ties with the U.S. and Israel.

The world now watches in anticipation of how this plan and its aftermath will be navigated by political figures, civil society members, and (most importantly), the citizens of both Israel and Palestine.  tweet

See Also

In response to the uprising and conflict surrounding this plan, The United Nations released a statement echoing it’s intentions on resolving the historic Israel-Palestine conflict in accordance with U.N. international law because, clearly, that has been an effective approach so far.  

The world now watches in anticipation of how this plan and its aftermath will be navigated by political figures, civil society members, and (most importantly), the citizens of both Israel and Palestine. 

Image courtesy of Pixabay
View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Scroll To Top