Photograph by Live Updates From Syria of a child walking through a refugee camp.
As the crisis in Syria gains some international attention, it’s difficult for some to know how they can best support Syrians — both local and abroad. Here is a list of some things you can do to help.
- Listen to Syrians.
- Use whatever platform you have to help Syrians tell their own stories to a broader audience. Elevating their voices is better than you speaking over or for them.
- Main news networks are notoriously negligent when it comes to sharing news related to Syria. To get the most up-to-date information, follow news networks and journalists working directly inside and coordinating with those inside Syria.
- Share relevant information on whatever social media platforms you use often. Your sharing can illuminate others.
- Talk with your friends and families about Syria. Your conversation can plant the seed of curiosity and compassion in them.
- Contact your local/state senators/representatives and Washington. Put pressure on them to take meaningful action regarding Syria. Visit NationalPriorities.org to find contact information.
- Go to local education/advocacy/protest events to stand in solidarity with Syrians fighting for their freedom, dignity, justice, truth, and peace.
- Volunteer for organizations serving the Syrian population. There is no such thing as “too many” volunteers when it comes to Syria.
- Donate to organizations helping save and improve lives of Syrians. We have listed a few trusted organizations for you to check out below in the categories of:
- MEDICAL & MENTAL HEALTH
- HUMANITARIAN RELIEF, AID, EDUCATION, AND DEVELOPMENT
- EMERGENCY RESCUE FOR GROUND AND SEA
- REFUGEE WORK
Scroll right to browse through these organizations in each category!