#MuslimGirlProbs is our weekly link roundup of headlines, stories, events, and situations that make us want to rip our hijabs off.
Brace yourselves. Here’s this week’s roundup with a side of stupidity, racism, abuse, and ignorance. Enjoy.
Week of 3/08/15:
- Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, announces that the niqab is “rooted in a culture that is anti-women”. Another old white male whose opinion is unwelcome. [Mediaite]
- An awesome article condemning the recent NYC School Muslim holiday announcement was released on PJ Media. Not only does this article target Muslims, it targets everyone who agrees that we should have two days of the school calendar dedicated to a cultural and religious celebration. [PJ Media]
- Jason Kenney, Canadian Defense Minister and, extremely ironically, Multicultural Minister, felt compelled on International Women’s Day to tweet pictures of Muslim women covered in niqabs, being led off by chains, as an attack on ISIS. Am I the only one who’s disgusted and offended? [Ottawa Citizen]
- This article seems to challenge the idea that there can be Muslim feminism. [Al-Monitor]
- A Muslim woman sues for being asked to remove her jacket, unnecessarily and humiliatingly, at a French airport. You’d think after Charlie Hebdo people would be more inclined to freedom of expression. Guess not if it’s a Muslim expression. [Daily Sabah]
- An Australian Muslim woman is traumatized by an online, abusive international hate campaign led by (surprise, surprise!) white US supremacists. [Daily Mail]