#MuslimGirlProbs is our weekly link roundup of headlines, stories, events, and situations that make us want to rip our hijabs off.
It is becoming increasingly harder to tell the difference between satire and actual news when it comes to Muslims. To quote Margari Hill in our State of the Muslim Union discussion last night, “we need to create our own media.”
Especially if the mainstream media continues to offer us these kinds of news stories:
Week of 2/22/15:
- Canadian judge, Eliana Marengo, refused to hear Muslim woman, Rania El-Alloul, unless she removed her headscarf. Apparently Judge Marengo’s courtroom is a “secular” haven, with no room for religious expression. [Daily Mail]
- Another group of brave non-Muslim women try on hijab and recount their unique experiences (like hello???? ASK US HOW IT FEELS). [The Spectrum]
- Most republicans still believe Obama is Muslim deep, deep, deep down. He’s like a Russian matryoshka doll. Behind all the layers of Christian, there’s a little prostrating Sheikh Barack. [Boingboing]
- Conservative groups in Oklahoma reserve space to protest Muslim Day as Muslim locals make their way to the state Capitol to learn more about their government. Get a life, conservatives. [News Channel 10]
- Austria is resurrecting a 103-year old “Law on Islam,” but with a twist: new restrictions. Really, Austria? [Washington Post]
- Sarah Palin thinks Obama is “blaming the victim” [aka white Christians] when talking about ‘radical Islam’ and the reality that violence is not unique to one religion. This is the same woman, by the way, that claimed “we have to stand by our North Korean allies” on a 2010 radio interview with Glenn Beck. [Politico]
Read last week’s compilation of idiocy, and stay safe out there y’all!